How to Use FTP Software (Macintosh)
How to Upload your Web Files onto the ASE Server using a Macintosh System
- Download FTP software to your computer.
FTP software will allow you to copy files from your computer to the web server.
ITS recommends Fetch for Macintosh systems. Use the links below to download
Fetch for your system. All you need to do is a click on a link, and then select
a directory to download the software to.
- Uncompress and Install the FTP software
Now that you've downloaded the software, you'll need to uncompress and install
it to use it. If you're using Netscape 3.0 or higher this should happen
automatically, so you begin with steps listed below. If you are using Netscape
2.0 or lower you will need to have Stuffit Expander to uncompress the Fetch
download. See our separate instructions on how to get and use Stuffit Expander.
- Go to the Macintosh desktop, in the Finder
- Look for an icon named Fetch 3.0.3 Installer
- Double-click on the Fetch 3.0.3 Installer icon to begin setup
- After double-clicking on the icon a screen will appear which provides an
explanation of latest features in Fetch, click on the Continue button.
- Now you will be presented with a screen that requires you select the version of
Fetch you would like to install. Select Fetch 3.0.3 Standard, and click on the
- Next you will need to select the location where the Fetch folder will be
installed to. Select the location and then click on the Install button.
- Fetch will now begin to install.
- When the installation is complete, the installer program will quit itself, and
you can then go to the next step.
Note: After you've installed Fetch, you can go back to the Macintosh desktop, in
the Finder. There you may see any or all of three files named, Fetch 3.0.3
Installer, Fetch 3.0.3 Installer.sit, and fetch-303.hqx. These files were used
in the setup and installation of Fetch, but you may trash them. Be sure only
trash files with names listed above.
- Startup FTP Software
Now that the setup is complete, you will need to run the software to use it.
Below you'll find directions on how to startup Fetch.
- Go to the Macintosh desktop, in the Finder
- Go to the folder where you downloaded Fetch, the default is the Macintosh HD.
- Look for a folder named Fetch 3.03.
- Open the Fetch 3.03 folder
- Inside the Fetch folder find an icon named Fetch 3.03
- Double-click on the Fetch 3.03 icon.
- Now go to the next step.
- Connect to the Web Server
Now the FTP software is running you need to connect to a web server. If you're
an Information Provider, you're probably going to connect to either the Arts &
Sciences server (ase.tufts.edu) or the Emerald server (emerald.tufts.edu). Below
you'll find directions on how to connect to these servers Fetch.
After Fetch has started you will see a screen that looks like the one below.
- First enter the name of the server.
- In the example above, the user will be connecting to the Arts & Sciences server,
which has an Internet server name as ase.tufts.edu
- Type in your user name. *Note - All user names are now preceded with a&s-its\
unless you use FrontPage98.
- In the example above, the user type in klombard, which is the assigned user name
for the Art & Sciences server.
- Type in your password.
- In the example above the user typed . . . His assigned password, which is unique
and to be kept confidential..
- Click on the OK to continue
- Select the File Directories and Copy the Files
After you've logged in you should see a screen similar to the example below.
Copying HTML and Graphics Files from Your Computer to the Web Server
- Change the directory on the Web Server to the location where you wish to copy
HTML and graphics files to.
- Directions on how to change directories is below
- Click on the Put File... button
- Now you will see a screen that prompts you to select the file you wish to copy
to the web server.
- Select the file and then click on the Open button
- Next you will see a screen that looks like the one below
Be sure to select Raw Data when copying all HTML and graphics to the web server.
Also note that filenames should not have spaces, and should have proper
extensions like .html , .gif , and .jpg .
Now click on the OK button to copy your HTML or graphic file to the server
You will need to follow the steps above to copy each file to the server
Note you can copy entire directories of HTML and graphic files from Your
Computer to the Web Server. In Fetch you will see a menu item at the top of the
screen labeled Remote. Select Remote, and within that list you will see an item
Put Folders and Files, select it. You then will able to copy multiple files and
Changing Directories in the Web Server
Changing directories on the Web Server can be achieved by clicking on the
pulldown menu within the Fetch main window. In the example above, you will see a
the directory named ITS which is highlighted, and labeled. If you click on this
you will be able move up a directory. To go down into a folder, double-click on
the folder, and the contents will now show in the file and folder list. If you
are using Fetch to copy files to the Emerald Server it's easier to use the
Change Directories command to get the Arts & Sciences directory. Follow the
directions below to get to the Arts & Sciences directory.
- Under Directories in the menus at the top of the screen, select Change
- Type /loc/web/doc/as
- Click the OK button
- Now you'll see the file/folder list for the Arts & Sciences directory
- In the Web Server file/folder list find the department or groupname.
- Double-click on the folder icon of your department or groupname.
- Now copy your files
- Quitting Fetch
To quit Fetch, choose Quit from the File menu within Fetch.
I Followed the Steps but I'm having Problems
Please contact the ITS HelpDesk.